DonostiaBookClub

Donostia Book Club

My name is Slawka Grabowska. I organize Donostia Book Club. We meet every month to discuss previously chosen books or short stories. Check out our FB page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Donostia-Book-Club/105225566276875?ref=hl

Jen Minkman's "The Space In Between"

The Space In Between - Jen Minkman

Synopsis:

When Moira helps out her sister and brother in a Wiccan ritual on Halloween, the last thing she expects is to be swept away to a mystical wilderness. Sitting within the stones of the ancient circle of Penmaenmawr, Wales, she's convinced it's an illusion. But the dark-haired, handsome man with amnesia that Moira meets during her trance cannot be blinked away like a dream.

Hayko, the mysterious stranger, won’t let go. After returning home from her stone circle adventure, Moira is beckoned back night after night to the outlandish dreamland by an invisible force. But the hardest part isn't having to fight the terrifying creatures of these nightmares--it's realizing she’s falling for a guy without a past who isn't real.

What if you really can fall in love with the man of your dreams?

Free copy provided by Author in exchange for an honest review

I have to say I usually don't give 5 stars to authors who gave me the book for free, usually not even 4. I even remember some cases when I disliked the book so much that I just couldn't finish it - so I didn't. That, obviously, is not a case with Jen Minkman's "The Space In Between". I just loved everything about this novel!

You think it sounds cliche? You couldn't be more wrong! It's a beautiful paranormal love story that, while using some known topics (dreams, Wiccan ritual), is a story on it's own: original and really well written. I've read one of Jen's novels before (Shadow of Time), so, more or less, I knew what to expect. And I was just swept off my feet by this one! It was much much better than the other book, that I already liked!

The characters are described so well, that you feel like you know them. You learn to feel what troubles them, to worry for their next steps. The beginning is just perfect: the pace is not too fast and not too slow, just ideal to get to know everyone and it fits the scenery where everything happens (picturesque Wales).

I've said before it's a love story, but it's more than this: it has a philosophical air to it, making us question our own choices and wondering about destiny and the higher forces in our lives.If anyone still doubts if to read it, check out author's blog about the places that appear in the novel (a great bonus for those who have trouble imagining everything) and Moira's song (written by the author herself):