DonostiaBookClub

Donostia Book Club

My name is Slawka Grabowska. I organize Donostia Book Club. We meet every month to discuss previously chosen books or short stories. Check out our FB page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Donostia-Book-Club/105225566276875?ref=hl

2 Pending Reviews

The Sexy & the Undead  - Charity Parkerson The Rain - Part 1 - Joseph A. Turkot

Some time ago I've participated in 2 more giveaways and I was lucky enough to win both of them. As a reward I've received to e-books. Both of them were short stories (one closer to noveletta?) and the size is probably the only thing they have in common. Why then am I writing about them in the same post? Because of their genres: one is a paranormal romance and the other an apocalyptic YA. Both genres, already very popular, recently seem to grow in numbers even more. That, I believe, leads to many rotten apples and because of that I've started avoiding both.

That made a surprise while reading these two even bigger. Charity Parkerson in 'The Sexy & the Undead. Sexy Witches. Book 1" (155 pages) created a funny and believable characters. I would call it paranormal Bridget Jones. It's hard not to like Ella and not to feel for her and her problems. There are zombies, witches, shamans, pixies and ... some more. But careful: as in all good romance stories there are some explicit sex scenes, so if you don't like to read some, the book is definitely not for you! 4.5/5

In 'The Rain. Part 1' Joseph A. Turkot (22 pages) created a strangely convincing post-apocalyptic scenario. The world is almost completely covered with water because of never-stopping rain. We get to know Russel and a 14-years-old girl and slowly we see how the relation between them changes. The teenager less and less  needs his protection and he becomes more and more dependent on her. My only but is that since it's the first person narration, sometimes I felt like inside girls head and some reflections seemed a bit repetitive. The first part, almost like a good soap-opera, finishes quite abruptly leaving the reader curious and with doubts. What will happen next? Well, for that you will have to buy a second part... 4/5