DonostiaBookClub

Donostia Book Club

My name is Slawka Grabowska. I organize Donostia Book Club. We meet every month to discuss previously chosen books or short stories. Check out our FB page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Donostia-Book-Club/105225566276875?ref=hl

Wonderful New Book by Jen Minkman

— feeling booklikes
Beyond The Fence (The Dartmoor Chronicles Book 1) - Jen Minkman

Synopsis:

"People turn their heads when I walk past them. They know where I’m going. My feet almost stumble on the uneven pavement of the cobblestoned street when I sense Mark’s gaze on me. This is the only time he takes notice of me, and it’s for a reason I wish didn’t exist. All the other times I want him to see me, his eyes skip right over me. I’m a wolf in sheep’s clothes to these people. A potential threat.

I already know what will happen once I get to the Clinic. I’ll have to talk to that clueless psychiatrist so he can measure my possibly violent tendencies. Because that stigma has been on me ever since I turned twelve and the person I loved most in the whole wide world was Purged from this city.
My name is Sarah, and my father was a violence offender."

I'm usually not keen on sequels or follow up series, but this one is definitely worth reading. We are back to the world of the Island series, but this time on the Dartmoor city's side. The action takes place some years after the original series and shows the consequences of all the previous events but also some dark secrets kept in Dartmoor. If you haven´t read the Island, don't worry: he story makes perfect sense on its own, and there are enough references to clear up any confusion. (Although surely it would be much much better to catch up with the first 3 books, if anything to enjoy Jen Minkamn's amazing writing skills!).

I'm not going to lie: I've received the copy for free in exchange for an honest review but I have to say I couldn't enjoy more. I've read most of the books written by the author and, through the time, you can clearly see her growing in skills. This book has it all: fully drawn, well developed characters, plot that just makes you drill over every single word, good pace that doesn't bore you. Check for your self what kind of fences can people encounter in post-apocalyptic world. What restrains the survivors of the last war... ever? I guarantee you will just get as hooked as I did. I'm impatiently waiting for the second book.