DonostiaBookClub

Donostia Book Club

My name is Slawka Grabowska. I organize Donostia Book Club. We meet every month to discuss previously chosen books or short stories. Check out our FB page! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Donostia-Book-Club/105225566276875?ref=hl

¨May in Ayemenem is a hot, brooding month. The days are long and humid.¨

The God of Small Things - Arundhati Roy

There was absolutely no doubt about our May book. It had to be Arundhati Roy´s ¨The God of Small Things¨. There are not many books I decide to reread. But this is one of them. I´ve read it 4 times and I am sure I will read it again in future.

Thankfully, most of our book-clubbers were equally enchanted by this picturesque novel. It was especially important, as our May book club was a part of Literaktum´s program and some new faces appeared. I wanted all these new people to know how passionate we all are about books.

We´ve talked for two hours and we´ve barely covered the most obvious points. There are so many things to discuss in the story of Velutha and Amu! Not even mentioning twins, that somehow are much more difficult to interpret!

Some of the themes we´ve focused on included:

• ¨The God of Small Things¨as postcolonial novel, English novel and Indian novel
  • situation of untouchable in India
  • situation of woman, single mothers in India
  • the relation between twins, what does the ending mean
  • elements inspired by reality. Could it be a biographical novel? (we believe it´s not, but there are strong inspirations from the author´s life)
  • the author as an activist
  • narrative structure; alternating narratives, flashbacks, flashforwards
  • language: nonstandard spelling, child´s point of view, intertextuality
  • the central love relationship, how could we miss it ;)
  • politics: castes, communism, religion, traditionalism
  • the meaning of the title; what the Small Things are

And that is just the top of the iceberg. We had no time to include our impressions on History House, to focus more on the sexual abuse (although we´ve mentioned it briefly), to focus on specific quotes and analyse them thoroughly...

I´ve enjoyed it a lot and hope to have more discussions like that one in future. Thank you!!!

See you all in June (08.06.2015). We are going to analyse ¨Disgrace¨by J.M. Coetzee.

Best,